I'm on a finishing kick! i just wove in the thousands of ends (or so they seemed) of a pair of gloves for Jo. And for me: Just in time to sit in a drafty room for several hours, here is a moebius scarf, knit in mistake rib of my own handspun yarn:

Here's the original yarn. I inherited a friend's stash and there were a lot of little bits and bobs of fiber; I took a bunch of my own bits and bobs and threw it all on the drum carder. Then I spun it into a super bulky yarn, totally not my usual:

The batt contained mohair locks, silk, soy silk, and a while bunch of different wool tail ends of dyed rovings, undyed top, and fleece. There are a dozen different blues,purples, greens, whites, blacks and a little bit of rose.

This was a really fast, fun project. The spinning went lightning quick, the knitting too. It would've been finished a lot sooner if I'd just sat down and grafted the darn thing, but I couldn't figure out how to graft mixed knit and purl. I finally found a good mnemonic: same off, opposite on. You work each stitch twice, the first time in the opposite way the stitch was worked--purlwise for knit, knitwise for purl--and then work knit for knit, purl for purl the second time when you take the stitch off the needle. I'll never forget again!

Here's what's come off the bobbin in the last month or so:

From left to right:

It gets very dark and gray in Oregon in the winter, so any bits of color I can get into my life, I do. The cheapest, most instant-gratification-y way I've found? Nail polish. Cheap bottles can be as little as a dollar, and I get them in all kinds of colors, anything that appeals! Right now my nails are a warm metallic gold--gilded like a picture frame! But at other times this winter, they've been deep red, mermaid blue, dark green. Cheers me up every time I look at my hands.

Another way to get color: Embroidery floss! Also cheap, and in vivid tones. Here's a big pile I've collected:

And this is what I'm doing with it:

This started life as a Russian punch embroidery kit we could never figure out; the punch wouldn't punch. But I liked the design, so i decided to just do regular old embroidery over it. I'm done with the background and have started the chicken. It's turning out really well and will be framed and hung either in the kitchen or in the TV room. Possibly the latter. We have this odd animal motif going on in there.

The unexpected jolt of color:

One of my youngest daughters' friends managed to somehow snap the axle of my spinning wheel clean off. Luckily, it's a Babe Production wheel and almost everything on it is pretty much open source/self-serve--we just need a dowel.

The funny thing was when JJ took it apart to pound out the broken pieces. Inside (the top of the supporting tube is open), we found my missing needle-nose bottle of spinning oil, its refill bottle (I've been missing both for six years), five colored pencils, a bright blue knitting needle, and a big piece of pink pink pink sidewalk chalk!

Your Tags: 
Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I'm behind in posting my finished objects! Latest first: To the right is a skein of laceweight merino I finished this week, 275 yds, 4 oz. Spun from a merino roving hand-dyed by Sherri at Butternut Woolens, a colorway called Salmonberry. Part of a set of seven bumps I got in trade for some web work in I think it was 2004. Every time I think I've spun up or gifted all seven I keep uncovering one. But this time I really think it's the end of that trade!

Your Tags: 
Taxonomy upgrade extras: 
Subscribe to RSS - spinning